infoninja v3

2007 Races/Events

2007 Resolutions

Current PRs

Current Power Songs

Friday, July 13, 2007

Results of loop ride

Well, it started off well...

Left the starting point in Ivesdale at about 5:45am, with decent weather and pretty much no wind. I had plans to meet with Kathleen in Royal, which is about 83 miles into the ride, for refilling of water bottles, etc. From Ivesdale to the northwest corner of the county went very started to heat up a little bit, but that felt a bit nice as it helped burn off a little bit of the humidity. My speed dropped a little as I headed east, due to a little bit of wind, but I was still feeling good. About halfway across the norther border of the county, I started to feel a little bit of cramping in my legs - a little annoying, but nothing too bad. By the time Id hit the northeast corner of the county (roughly 70 miles into the ride), the cramping in my legs had gotten significantly worse, and I was at that point riding into a headwind. Heading south towards Royal, the cramps got significantly worse (after a few miles into the eastern side of the county, it got to the point where I'd pedal 4-5 strokes, my hamstrings would cramp up, and I'd need to coast until I could get them uncramped. Lather, rinse, repeat). It took me close to an hour to get from the northeast border of the county to Royal, and I was pretty sure my ride was ending in Royal. I met up with Kathleen in Royal with severe leg cramps, and really bad vomiting, but pretty close. Managed to get myself off the bike, and promptly consumed about half a can of salt and vinegar chips and a liter of Pedialyte. I decided to call it a day at that point, loaded the bike in the car, and headed for home.

I weighed myself after getting home...I wasn't significantly dehydrated (I'd dropped a couple of pounds, but that's normal for me in any kind of heat), but from symptoms and talking to other athletes that I need to use a higher-sodium electrolyte product in high heat events like this....while I wasn't dehydrated, I had managed to flush ~150oz of fluid through my system over the course of the ride.

I rested up the rest of the day, got some more fuel and salt into me, and decided to try on Sunday morning to start again from where I left off in Royal. It might end up with a very slow and easily beaten record, but I'd have the record nonetheless. When I woke up Sunday morning, however, my calves were cramped up so badly that I could barely walk, do I took Sunday off as well.

All in all, a pretty discouraging experience. Ironically, I've had a pretty good week since in terms of training, etc.

Even though I did not succeed in my attempt, there are several people that I must thank, without whom I could never have gotten as far as I did...
  • Kathleen - for the support and encouragement, and for putting up with the demands of being married to an endurance athelete
  • Tracy - for great coaching support
  • Dan and Gwen - for the car loan (we started having car problems early in the week, and Dan and Gwen were kind enough to loan us a car, without which we never could have managed the attempt)
So, where do I go from here?
Now, I'm off to Wisconsin to buy beer and run around Lake Monona

Labels: , , , , ,

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Training status + monumental announcements

First, the relatively commonplace items...last week was the first week of full-on training with my coach, training for the Chicago Marathon (where my goal is to finish in sub-3:30 time), the UltraMidwest 6-hour cycling race (where my goal is to improve my performance from last year by at least 10%), and a solo cycling event to be described later in this post.

1st week of training:
  • Monday
    • Hill repeats (1.5mi w/u, 8x200m @ 18% @ 5k pace w/ 2:00 jogging rest intervals, 1.5mi c/d)
  • Tuesday
    • Crosstraining (weights @ the gym)
  • Wednesday
    • Rest
  • Thursday
    • Tempo intervals (goal was 1.5mi w/u, 2x2mi @ 7:17-7:26/mile w/ 3:00 jogging rest interval, 1.5mi c/d; ended up doing the intervals at 7:11 and 7:45 pace)
  • Friday
    • ~80:00 tempo cycling (23.88mi @ 17.4MPH)
  • Saturday
    • 6mi run @ 8:38-9:00 (did it as 1/2mi @ 9:09, 5mi @ 8:32, ~3/4mi @ 8:56)
  • Sunday
    • 10mi easy run/walk (alternating 1mi run/1:00 walk; including walk breaks, averaged 8:59 pace)
The first week went very well. Now, onto the big news:
  1. As of July 2nd, I have a new job! I'll be the Security Standards and Compliance Officer at UIUC. I'll be responsible for researching and writing IT security standards for the University, getting buy-in from campus units on the standards, and ensuring compliance to the security standards. Due to some nasty budgetary issues, this position has been in negotiations for several months, but things are now worked out, and I'm really looking forward to starting!
  2. On July 7th (yup, 7/7/07), I'll be attempting to set the PBAA record for a perimeter ride around Champaign County, Illinois. I'm waiting on approval on my planned route, but am currently expecting that it'll be roughly this. My current goal is to finish in sub-10:00 time, including any breaks, etc.

Labels: , , ,

Friday, March 30, 2007

Shamrock Shuffle report

Went up to Chicago for fine dining (Cousin's IV, Cafe Bolero, Green Zebra, Karyn's Cooked, Twisted Spoke), fine music (Bloc Party), fine running (Shamrock Shuffle), and fine bike tune upping (more on that later)

We drove up on Friday, dropped my bike off at Get A Grip Cycles for tune-up/overhaul. I've got a couple of big cycling events planned for this season, so I wanted to get an overhaul at the start of the season. We'd budgeted $200 to cover the cost of the overhaul, which is what was listed on the Get A Grip website. We stopped in for a quick bite at Cousin's IV, got settled in where we were staying, and then I met up with Josh and Denise to hit the Shamrock Shuffle expo for packet pickup. Hit Cafe Bolero for some great Cuban food, then off to the Congress Theatre for Bloc Party, who ended up playing the following setlist:
Song For Clay (Disappear Here)
Positive Tension
Hunting For Witches
Waiting For The 7:18
This Modern Love
Little Thoughts
The Prayer
So Here We Are
Like Eating Glass
She's Hearing Voices

Chilled out on Saturday, dinner at Green Zebra, then off to rest up for Shamrock.

Headed downtown for the race, checked my gear, and made my way to the B Corral. Given that I'm running the Clinton Lake 30 Mile Trail Race this Sunday, I didn't want to push things too hard at the race, so I decided to treat the race as a speedy tempo run. As usual, I was off like a flash at the start of the race, although I got my pace down to a manageable speed pretty quickly. I ended up finishing in 36:48 (7:24 pace, which is about 20 seconds per mile slower than my 5k PR pace), placing 1,397th out of 23,865 finishers, which places me in the top 5.9% of finishers! Significantly more impressive is the fact that Kathleen finished the course walking in 1:09:46, even while not feeling well.

Got my gear, drank a Muscle Milk for recovery, met up with Kathleen, and decided to run up to Karyn's Cooked where we were meeting people for brunch. Had a fantastic brunch, then headed to Get A Grip to pick up my bike. They did a fantastic job on the bike, and I grabbed a few Hammer Gels that I needed for Clinton Lake. The added bonus was discovering that the grand total for the overhaul and Hammer Gel was $9.81 - I'd forgotten that since I bought the bike from Get A Grip, they include free tune-up once a year! I've ridden my bike since the overhaul, and they did a great job - I cannot say enough good things about them as a bike shop!

We did a quick shopping trip at Binny's (2 bottles of Quelque Chose, a bottle of Cantillon Lambic, and a 1/3# of Rolf Beeler Hoch Ybrig), then headed up to Josh's for the post-Shamrock party. Hung out there for a while, then ended up going to Twisted Spoke for dinner/drinks.

Drove back here first thing Monday morning, then started prepping for Clinton Lake (more on that in a later post)

Labels: , , ,

Sunday, February 18, 2007

The hits just keep on coming...

I woke up this morning so sore from yesterday's run that I was seriously thinking about not going to the time trial today. After I got up and moving around a bit, it was somewhat better, but my legs were still pretty sore. Got over to Champaign Cycle in plenty of time to warm up for my 11:30am start time, and ended up setting a new PR! (cut 29 seconds off my previous PR for the 10k flat time trial, and increased my previous best average watts to 269)

I rested up a bit this afternoon, and then made a wonderful (if I do say so myself) vegan Carbonnades Flamandes (substituting seitan for the beef), which I served for dinner tonight, along with a bottle of New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red. Dessert was vegan chocolate cupcakes with coconut pecan frosting (Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World), brought to us by our dinner guest.

As far as my condition post-time trial is concerned, I'm having some trouble with walking up stairs, my left hip flexor is cramping up something fierce, and I couldn't be happier!

Labels: , , , ,

Monday, January 29, 2007


That's the only way I can describe my day yesterday - 5.5 mile training run @ 8:20 pace, very cold and windy. The wind chill during my run was -3F. And the scary thing is, I had a blast! The only complaint that I really have is not so much due to my glasses fogging over from the face mask as much as said fog then freezing solid on my glasses

Last weekend is best described as epic...Saturday, I ran one loop of the course for the Clinton Lake Ultramarathon - 10 very hilly miles, in pretty cold weather (not nearly as cold as yesterday, but at the finish of the training run, I saw someone with a sizable icicle hanging from one of his sideburns). Ended up finishing the run at about a 10:40 pace, which put me at the front of the mid-pack or the back of the front-runners. Grabbed a quick breakfast (my new traditional post-training/race breakfast - 2 pancakes, no butter, no syrup, with 2 over-easy eggs sandwiched inside). Rested up for most of the rest of the day, devoured the entirety of a large vegan pizza (I recently discovered that Papa John's will make a pizza with no cheese), and slept like a baby. The following day, I set a new PR for the 10k flat indoor time trial at Champaign Cycle I got my time down to 17:30, shaving 21 seconds off my previous PR, and increasing my average wattage to 255!

Labels: , , ,

Monday, January 15, 2007

Update re: new year's progress

Well, the original plan had been for this posting to accompany a new design for the blog, but the design isn't ready yet, so here goes....

I don't know if it's getting on top of my nutrition, or what, but this has been a great year thus far in terms of training - see below for workouts/paces, etc:
1/2 AM: Core/flexibility work1
1/2 PM (lunch): 1.75mile run to track, 7x600 @ 6:20.85 pace, 1.75mile run from track

1/3 AM: Core/flexibility work1
1/3 PM: Gym - 10:00 treadmill warmup, 35:00 freeweight circuit training, 10:00 treadmill cooldown

1/4 AM: Core/flexibility work1
1/4 PM: 45:00 indoor cycling - Spinervals No Slackers Allowed

1/5 AM: 7mile slow training run @ 9:44 pace

1/6 AM: 3:00:00 indoor cycling - Spinervals Tough Love

1/7 AM: 6mile run @ 8:21 pace

1/8 AM: Core/flexibility work1
1/8 PM: Gym - 10:00 treadmill warmup, 25:00 Crossfit, 10:00 treadmill (hill intervals) cooldown

1/9 AM: Core/flexibility work1
1/9 PM: 6mile run @ 7:55 pace

1/10 AM: Core/flexibility work1

1/11 AM: Core/flexibility work1
1/11 PM: Gym - Treadmill interval workout (10:00 warmup, 12x00:30 @ 6:18 pace w/ 1:00 @ 11:00 pace rest intervals, 7:00 cooldown), 10:00 free weight circuit training

1/12 AM: Core/flexibility work1
1/12 PM (lunch): 4.4mile run @ 8:24 pace

1/13 AM: 8mile run @ 8:36 pace

1/14 PM: 01:30:00 indoor cycling - Spinervals Mental Toughness

1/15 AM: Core/flexibility work1
1/15 AM: 3.5mile recovery run @ 8:26 pace

Most of the runs have, even when I've been pushing myself, felt better than I remember in a long time. I did briefly worry that it was due entirely to the CW-X tights that I got for Christmas, since I was using those for the first speedwork run @ the track, which felt unnaturally good for speedwork, but I've done runs both with and without the tights, but I've had really good runs both with and without the tights (the 7:55 6-miler was w/out the tights), so that's definitely not it. That said, I'm a huge fan of the tights, and will definitely be continuing to use them...

If I can keep things up, 2007 is looking to be a great year!

1Core/flexibility work consists of:
50 Stability Ball Crunches
15 Stability Ball Push-ups
50 Stability Ball Crunches
15 Stability Ball Push-ups
50 Stability Ball Oblique Crunches
20 Stability Ball Push-ups
50 Stability Ball Reverse Crunches
5:00 stretching

Labels: , , ,

Monday, December 18, 2006

Results of indoor time trial

Well, on very little cycling training, after 2 days of holiday party eating, I managed to set a new PR for the 10k flat course. My PR from last year was 17:55, and I finished this year in 17:51! Full details below:
Average speed: 20.8 mph
Average watts: 251
Average heart rate: 182
Maximum heart rate: 189

I used the following for music:
Warmup mix (warmed up for 25 minutes before the time trial):
1.Johnny CashThirteen
2.Hank Williams Jr.A Country Boy Can Survive
3.The Rolling StonesStreet Fighting Man
4.PennywiseBro Hymn
5.Bloc PartyBanquet
6.Jay-ZNumb / Encore
7.Ja RuleLife Ain't a Game
8.MobyLift Me Up (Mylo Mix)
9.Brother AliChampion
10.Fort Minor featuring Styles of BeyondRemember the Name

Time trial mix:
2.Lamb Of GodWhat I've Become
3.Thomas E.Deep S**t 909
4.PanteraF*****g Hostile

Labels: , , , ,

Friday, December 08, 2006


As a fitting finish to cheat week 2006, I'm now signed up for the 10k indoor time trial at Champaign Cycle next Sunday.

Labels: , ,

©2007 Shea Nangle